canyon lake.jpg


Original known as Railroad Canyon Lake, the lake was created in 1927 when the Temescal Water Company put a dam on the San Jacinto River to create a reliable local irrigation source for local citrus groves and farmers.  From 1937 to 1968 Canyon Lake was primarily a recreation area and fishing resort.  The Corona Land Company saw it's potential as a community and began development in 1968.  Early on, most of the residents were retirees and weekenders.